HOLDEN, Mass. — In an effort to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy in New York in New Jersey, Holden Girl Scouts are cooperating with Boy Scout Troop 182 to collect items to send to families in need.
This Saturday, members of both scouting organizations will gather at the back parking lot of the First Baptist Church at 1216 Main St. from 8 to 11 a.m. to sort and pack items to drive to New York and New Jersey.
"We are looking for help with sorting and packing as well as more items to be donated from the community and businesses," Girl Scout co-service unit manager Jenni Howe said.
The scouts are looking for items such as:
- Nonperishable food, bottled water and baby formula as well as handheld can openers
- All sizes of gently used hats/gloves/mittens, shoes/boots, pants, shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters, coats, blankets and towels.
- New underwear and socks.
- Toiletry items such as shampoo, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, hairbrushes, hair elastics, toilet paper, diapers and baby wipes.
- Cat and dog food and cat litter.
- Cleaning supplies such as bleach, mildew cleaner, mops, brooms, dustpans, paper towels, buckets, Fabreze, trash bags, dust masks and gloves.